1. There are a total of up to twenty (20) scholarships - available to be awarded by Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada (“SUN LIFE”) each academic year (each, a “Scholarship”) to undergraduate students and Master students programs who self identify as part of the Black and Indigenous Communities, starting the last year at their respective program, as further described below.
2. Applicants must self-identify as part of the Black and Indigenous communities, and must demonstrate an interest in pursuing a career in Business, Finance, Legal, Information Technology, Human Resources, Marketing, Communications, and/or Sales at SUN LIFE
3. To be eligible for one (1) of the twenty (20) Scholarships the applicant must:
a) Self identify as part of the Black and Indigenous communities;
b) Be a Permanent Resident or Citizen of Canada;
c) Be enrolled in a Bachelor’s or Masters Degree program within an accredited Canadian University;
d) Be entering the last year of their program;
e) Have a minimum 2.70 GPA or B- average or 70%; and
f) Be available to complete an internship in either of our offices in Toronto, Waterloo, or Montreal, or virtually (work from home) from any location within Canada if you’re unable to work in these locations.
4. All applicants must submit a completed online application including:
a. 500-word personal essay in support of your candidacy, telling us about yourself and what winning this scholarship would mean to you;
b. A current, one-page resumé, including non-curricular activities that could be relevant or important to the candidate for the purpose of this scholarship; and
c. Unofficial transcripts of academic records from their current programme
5. If any supporting documentation is not submitted within the specified timeframe, the application may be subject to disqualification.
6. Each of the Scholarships shall be comprised of:
a. A lump sum payment in the amount of Canadian Dollars $5,000
b. A 4-month paid internship from May to August of 2022 with SUN LIFE
c. Career and professional mentorship from SUN LIFE during the internship
d. Possibility for a regular offer of employment by SUN LIFE upon graduation from your current program
7. You may submit your application in English or French, however, applications must be completed in only one language.
8. Completed applications must be submitted online between September 1st, 2021 12:00 pm EST and October 26th, 2021, 11:59 pm EST. Submissions must be made online.
9. Application Evaluation Process:
a. Our Scholarship Administrator “Universities Canada” will review all completed applications and provide SUN LIFE with shortlisted eligible candidates.
b. Shortlisted candidates will be evaluated by Human Resources at SUN LIFE, and those selected will be invited to interview with managers within their area of interest at SUN LIFE. Interviews may be in-person or by telephone or video conference, at Sun Life’s sole discretion and taking into consideration the location of the candidate.
c. Following these interviews, up to the twenty (20) Scholarship recipients will be determined.
10. Potential Scholarship recipients (or in the case of minors, a parent or legal guardian) may be required to sign an additional consent and release before being awarded a Scholarship. The signed consent and release will provide the recipient's consent to the use of their name, city and province or territory of residence and photograph, image or likeness without further compensation, in any publicity carried out by SUN LIFE in respect of the Scholarship program.
11. By submitting an application, you agree to be bound by these terms and conditions and the decisions of SUN LIFE, which decisions shall be deemed final, conclusive and binding in all matters.
12. Employees, directors, and officers of SUN LIFE and its subsidiaries, and any child of any of the foregoing are not eligible for the Scholarships. For greater certainty, “child” shall be defined herein as a person whose parent or legal guardian is an employee, Director or Officer of SUN LIFE or any of its affiliates or subsidiaries.
13. You certify that all the information provided on the application form and in all the accompanying documents is true, accurate, and complete to the best of your knowledge. You understand that the provision of false or misleading information will disqualify you for this Scholarship program.
14. By submitting this Scholarship application, you hereby authorize and consent to:
a. SUN LIFE, its subsidiaries and affiliates and their respective employees, agents, and contractors releasing any information provided in or relating to your Scholarship application to its representatives, and their respective representatives who need to know such information for purposes of administering and promoting the SUN LIFE Inclusion Scholarship program.
b. SUN LIFE, its subsidiaries and affiliates, our Scholarship Administrator, and their respective employees, agents and contractors to collect, use, store and disclose to one another, information about you which has been provided in or relating to your Scholarship application, for the purposes of verifying that information and administering and promoting the SUN LIFE Inclusion Scholarship program.. The information that may be collected, used, stored and disclosed includes, but is not limited to, personal evaluations and transcripts.
c. SUN LIFE, its subsidiaries and affiliates, our Scholarship Administrator, and their respective employees, agents and contractors to disclose information about you which has been provided in or relating to your Scholarship application, to third parties for the purpose of verifying that information, including but not limited to educational institutions, government or community sources,
15. You hereby authorize third parties, such as universities, government or community sources to release information required for the purposes of administering the Scholarship program to SUN LIFE, our Scholarship Administrator and their respective employees, agents and contractors who need to know such information for purposes of verifying the information and administering the SUN LIFE Inclusion Scholarship. This information may include, but is not limited to, personal evaluations and transcripts.
16. In the event that you are a Scholarship recipient, you grant to SUN LIFE and its subsidiaries and affiliates the worldwide right to use your name, image, likeness, city and province of residence, university name and any direct quotes made by you in respect of the Scholarship program for marketing and publicity purposes in any and all media without further compensation.
17. SUN LIFE reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to modify, amend (including extending the Scholarship application deadline) or cancel the SUN LIFE Inclusion Scholarship program at any time without individual notice.