What is the actuarial graduate program?
Sun Life’s actuarial student program is for full-time, co-op, and internship actuarial employees still progressing towards their actuarial accreditation. Sun Life has developed a supportive environment that gives aspiring actuaries the resources they need to learn, develop and grow.
Sun Life's Actuarial Student Program is a great way for you to:
Accelerate your leadership development
- You'll learn directly from business leaders you work alongside with. You will see how we lead as actuaries to help shape business decisions and drive business success.
- You'll participate in a rotational program and get the opportunity to experience and learn different areas of our business.
- Receive training, coaching, and actionable feedback to achieve your career goals.
Make an impact that matters in the real world
- Here’s your chance to work on real, challenging problems that have a direct impact on the results and success of both our company and clients.
- We will look to you to help solve problems that don't always have an easy or existing answer and require new and innovative solutions.
Collaborate with other high performers in a supportive team environment
- We have a great team with diverse backgrounds and we continue to look for more great members.
- You'll get support from colleagues who have gone through the program already; colleagues become friends and allies.
- We work in a fun, open and collaborative environment.
- We encourage networking with other actuaries and business leaders in the company.
As an actuarial student program member you will get the opportunity to rotate among different areas within Sun Life. There are over 40 different roles that actuarial students could rotate to. Roles are in different business units and will allow students to learn and perform different functions of the business. The rotation program will help you gain exposure to many fields of actuarial work. This will prepare you to find the area that's most interesting – and most suited – to you.
Preparing for the accreditation exams
The Actuarial Student Program provides an industry leading support package to pass the actuarial exams and develop the skills necessary for success in the actuarial field. Jointly sponsored by the Society of Actuaries and the Canadian Institute of Actuaries, this is a series of exams that require dedication, commitment and the discipline to maximize study time.
The following are a list of benefits associated with the program:
- Time off from work to study
- Textbooks and solution manuals
- A budget to spend on additional study support material
- A large network of other students writing the exams to lean on
- Compensation incentives for passing exams
- Exam fee reimbursement
Co-op and Internship opportunities
In addition to our full-time actuarial staff, we also provide opportunities for co-ops and internships that are geared towards students currently enrolled in a university program. You'll work on quality projects and gain valuable insight into the challenges and opportunities the actuarial profession can offer. Get a head start on your career – and start developing the skills you'll need before you graduate.
Passing the exams are the foundation of your actuarial development, and that's just the beginning. Sun Life sponsors our actuarial staff to attend professional meetings, seminars, conferences and classes. This supports continued professional development and relationship building with actuaries from other companies. Sun Life values its employees' dedication to the profession.